Sunday, March 30, 2014

Strawberry Freezer Jam (lower sugar)

I used to make strawberry jam and it always turned out. I'm not sure what has happened, but I have lost the touch and have not been able to obtain a good set lately. So I started trying different types of pectins and followed the instructions to the T. The jams were still coming out very soft. So I just decided to play around one night with a different kind of pectin and I got it right the first time! I tried it again to test it, and it set very nicely the second time. Here are the instructions for my fool proof strawberry freezer jam.

2 cups blended strawberries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup instant pectin (see picture below)

1- Blend your strawberries on the ice crush. This makes it so there is less air incorporated and will yield less froth.

2- In a bowl combine the strawberries and sugar. Mix it up and let it sit for about 5 minutes or so.

3- Add water and pectin to a pan and bring to boil. Let it boil for about 1 minute.

4- While on the stove top on your lowest medium heat, add about 1 cup of the strawberry mixture to the pectin and mix it until there are no lumps. Then pour the pectin mixture into the rest of the strawberries. Mix it well.

5- Pour into freezer containers and let sit on counter uncovered until it is cooled down. I waited until I could see the jam setting up, then I put them in the freezer.

This stays in the fridge for a couple of weeks, and in the freezer for probably up to 6 months. It never lasts that long in my house.











No comments:

Post a Comment